[LMB] OT: A tale of two words

WILLIAM A WENRICH wawenri at msn.com
Mon Nov 6 12:56:45 GMT 2017

Due to my recent experiences, I have been contemplating two words that are spelled the same but pronounces differently: in-va-lid and in-val-id. (The center dot used to separate syllables appears to be unavailable in plain text.) In-va-lid is a person who is disabled by disease, injury, or simply age. The disability is not necessarily permanent. In-val-id is a description of a thing or action that is not allowed (a chess move that leaves you in check) or not useful (an already punched ticket or spoiled ballot).
My greatest fear with my GBS was that I would be permanently an invalid and become therefore invalid. (The alternative diagnosis I got of MS and ALS didn't help!)
Consider Aral's reaction to Dubauer's injury and problems Kou had with his both personally and socially. Then there is the high suicide rate among disabled veterans.
Also, there is the social pressure to share if a bonded knife is available. Dag's father did and Pakko would have.
In RL, we tend to swing between extremes from PC terms for conditions (differently abled, xxx challenged) to promoting euthanasia for Downs, clinical depression.
I have no answers, I'm just glad that with prayer and medical treatment I seem to be essentially over my GBS.