[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

Helen Fenton hifenton at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 10 00:10:14 GMT 2017

> On 10 Nov 2017, at 10:47 AM, Walter Bushell

> There are more than a few plot points in the Vor saga that hinge on bad genes and the cloning thereof.
>
> The Gregor was wary of marrying a Vor, just as one example.
>
> Huntington disease is just horrid. Robert M. Sapolsky gives a description of it in
> his online course “Human Behavioral Biology” from a course at Stanford.

One of the first female convicts sent to the Tasmanian penal colony was a carrier of Huntingtons . She proceeded to have 12 children. They also bred prolifically with the result that Huntingtons is a very common threat in Tasmania . Doctors automatically ask if you have any Tasmanian ancestors.

I taught a young teenager who was in an orphanage because his ex serviceman father had died in Vietnam and his mother was in the final stages of Huntingtons . He had the tests and had already been told he was positive for it so he knew what he was going to face. He had already decided to have himself sterilised as soon as he turned 18 to  make sure he could not inflict the disease on anyone else . He was very angry with his older sister because she had gone ahead and had three children without having the test herself . He thought what she had done was criminal

Helen