[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

B. Ross Ashley brashley46 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 03:39:02 GMT 2017

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:58:25 -0600, Jelbelser <jelbelser at comcast.net>
posted:

> I remember in the early 1970's, when the test for Tay-Sachs first became
available. I was in college. The local Jewish Community
> Center arranged a bus to take all interested Jewish college students for
testing. I'm not a carrier.

> I've read that being a carrier is advantageous, giving resistance to
tuberculosis. Also, it is common among French Canadians and
> US Cajuns.

> Janet in TN

I did a bit of research on this 15 years ago ... my ex is Jewish and my
ancestry includes direct-line paternal descent from the second wave of
settlers on the north shore of the St Lawrence. (La famille Desrosiers dit
Lafreniere, from the area of Mercierville.) The genes concerned are not a
direct match for the Tay-Sachs gene but close, and results in the same sort
of pathology if inherited from both sides ... but it is much more prevalent
among families from the south bank of the St Lawrence' including the
western portion of Gaspesie. I had not heard that about the Acadiens. (I
see from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay%E2%80%93Sachs_disease that the
identical gene to the one in Ashkenazi populations is the one found in
Louisiana Cajuns. Hmmmm.)

AT any rate, our son has not got the gene in either version from either of
us.

--
B. Ross Ashley