[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 06:13:16 GMT 2017

I just want to say that I think we humans have a super-lousy track record for breeding humans
to have certain traits. It backfires in some of the most awful ways. Look at the one-child
policy and how selecting for male turned out to be a hugely bad idea that hardly anyone
predicted -- or maybe they predicted things would turn out badly for the single males who
couldn't find wives, but so few of the parents actually acted on it. At best, they didn't act
and let nature take its course.

Even something as innocent as music skills . . . . Musicality runs in my family (not always
developed, and it's not fabulous). Maybe we are naturally attracted to mates who also can make
music. I know my husband's guitar skills (such as they were) were extremely attractive and yet
another thing I really liked about him. But goodness, if I had made a concerted push to marry
the first musician I fell in love with? Ugh. I think I would have had a rotten life -- I'm not
really the divorcing type, so I probably would have put up with his problems a lot longer than
I should have.

It's cute when fictional characters like the Weasleys happen. They weren't selecting for
redheads, but it seemed to kind of have happened.

But the fact remains, geniuses come from very unexpected places sometimes. It's important that
we provide an environment for as many people as possible to develop their skills and talents
-- I think we'll get a lot more geniuses that way, rather than trying to inbreed a bunch of
MENSA
members or the men's and women's soccer teams.

Micki