[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 14:58:38 GMT 2017

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Beatrice_Otter <
beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com> wrote:

> Given that there are, as I type this, people putting a lot of money and
> research time into trying to find a way to prevent people like me from ever
> being born, I am a strong advocate AGAINST eugenics.

And 90% of the time I'd agree with you, but I started the thread with
TaySachs. Those babies don't usually live long enough to learn to read, let
alone type. I don't understand why people lump ALL the genetic diseases
together.

> There are bits and pieces of my autism that I would tweak or get rid of if
> I could, sure.  But I would fight to the death any attempt to "cure" all of
> it, because it would kill me even if my body was still walking around
> afterwards.
>
> The problem with pro-eugenics arguments is that in my experience they take
> the simplest examples--Tay Sachs, for example--where a condition causes
> extreme amounts of harm and nothing that's even neutral, much less good,
> and where removing that condition would not affect the core of a person at
> all.  And then they say "look at this, isn't it awesome, wouldn't this be
> good for these poor people suffering from this condition, think of all the
> OTHER stuff we could fix!"  And then they advocate that same "solution" for
> cases (such as autism, or deafness) where there ARE positives to the
> condition they want to eradicate, and it WOULD affect the core of who a
> person is.  And THEN they ignore or attack any person who actually HAS that
> condition when they try to point out the problems. (snip)
> Beatrice Otter
> --

Agree with most of this, too.
Sylvia