[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Sat Nov 11 00:05:36 GMT 2017

On Nov 09, 2017, at 06:56 AM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

How you you get rid of recessive genetic diseases? Tay-Sachs disease
killed about 1/3,600 babies a year among Jews of European descent... can
scientists cure it?

They can't (yet), but the community can advise all high-school seniors in
religious schools to get gene tested. The lab results help make sure 2
carriers don't get married. No more dead babies.

Marina:
I gather it isn't tested for at birth. If the family contains "hidden Jews" in its background, they would not think to get tested, and the advisor for genetic testing at amniocentesis or chorionic villius sampling (which is usually done a couple of weeks earlier) would not necessarily suspect it, nor test for it. If a pregnant woman is under 30, such testing is rare.

I think yours is a good idea, but I think universal gene testing at the time of a teenage vaccine or booster would make sense.

I have one mutation of which I'm aware, but wouldn't have been automatically tested for..

Marina