[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Sun Nov 12 19:02:54 GMT 2017

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017, M. Haller Yamada wrote:
> I just want to say that I think we humans have a super-lousy track record for breeding humans
> to have certain traits. It backfires in some of the most awful ways. Look at the one-child
> policy and how selecting for male turned out to be a hugely bad idea that hardly anyone
> predicted -- or maybe they predicted things would turn out badly for the single males who
> couldn't find wives, but so few of the parents actually acted on it. At best, they didn't act
> and let nature take its course.

I'm with Micki here. Eugenics has been used far too often as a tool of
prejudice and cruelty. People being sterilized after being accused of
being feeble-minded or loose in their morals -- that was the least of it
and that was horrible enough.

There some gene combinations, like those for Huntington's, that
would be better if removed. And I don't blame parents for not wanting to
raise a child with Down's or other intellectual disorders where the
genetic problem is clear and limited. But there's lots of other
genetically-based syndromes where I suspect meddling in the genes might
just make things worse.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"As a writer you’re always surprised when you think of the right note or the right word.
You think, 'Oh, I didn’t know I could — oh, that’s good!' You know, writing’s full of
surprises for oneself." - Stephen Sondheim, T Magazine, October 16, 2017,
interviewed by Lin-Manuel Miranda