[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 15:30:37 GMT 2017

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 7:25 PM, Pat Mathews <MATHEWS55 at msn.com> wrote:

> Just the best athlete they can be; but I wouldn't try for the unbalanced
> shapes of some specialized athletes.
>   Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
>
> The hard part is defining the line of how far is too far.    Can we design
> our children to be as athletic as the top existing athlete, but not one
> iota more?
> --

Sylvia:
The Greeks did this ages and ages ago.  First they wanted the perfectly
formed man, and bred for that and trained and exercised for the perfect
shape, as shown in statuary. (perfectly formed women were not in the
running.) Then someone figured out that wrestling is a paying proposition
for the coach, even if not for the wrestler, and started training them for
hulking shoulders.  The "perfect form" was gone, but their guys were
winning the contests.
Such is human nature:  Perfection is defined differently depending on your
point of view. Changes in technology only change the available tools, not
competing versions of "perfect".