[LMB] BIA-Related Link: "Universal" Ear Bud Translator

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Mon Nov 13 19:03:25 GMT 2017

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 10:36:05 -0500 (EST), Harvey Fishman
<fishman at panix.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017, A. Marina Fournier wrote:
>
>> 95% of English citizens are monolingual?? I have no idea how that stacks up
>> to the US residents.
>>
>> Marina
>
>If you listen to them talking on YouTube, that statistic is impossible to
>believe. I have GREAT difficulty understanding most of them. I think that
>Shaw had the right idea in _Pygmalion_.

Mote and beam, Harvey?  There's a vast range of accents in the US, too-
some of which are mutually unintelligible.

And Shaw was wrong: there are also accents in other European languages.
I used to have a penfriend in Cologne/Koln - people who lived less than
2 miles from him spoke a dialect he could not understand at all.

In fact, it was during Shaw's lifetime that they reached the point where
90+% of French citizens spoke what we'd regard as French.
--
Four Stages of Acceptance:
1. This is worthless nonsense.