[LMB] AKICOT:L Video keeps playing even after closed

Harvey Fishman fishman at panix.com
Tue Nov 14 01:05:21 GMT 2017

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, M. Haller Yamada wrote:

> So, something weird happened. I opened up the Mental Floss article Howard
> mentioned in a new tab, and then clicked on the YouTube video embedded in
> there. It froze a little, so I decided I didn't want to watch it, and
> closed down the whole tab.
>

> And a few seconds later, the video's audio is playing on my computer!
> What's up with that?
>

> There's nothing in my dashboard at the bottom of the screen (the stack of
> "e" for Internet Explorer), and I did CTRL-ALT-DEL, then ALT-T for the task
> manager, but it said nothing about a video running in the applications
> window.
>

> I use Windows 7, and the settings say I've got IE version 11.0.9600.18314,
> "update version" (this is in Japanese so I'm guessing about the English)
> 11.0.31.
>

> I guess the panicky question is: do I have a virus? The more measured
> question is how do I find this YouTube video again, and turn it off?
>
> I'm going to shut everything down and hope that helps get rid of whatever
> the problem is. (BTW, I completely shut down the laptop every night, using
> the shutdown button in the start menu.)
>

> P.S.: My computer is showing that some sort of ad.click popup is being
> blocked, and it's asking for permission to be seen . . . I got one during
> the video play, and I just got one now even though the video is over.
>
> Thanks for any help or commiseration!
>

> Micki

Open the browser and observe the tabs for connected addresses. There should
be one for YouTube. Close the tab. This can be a problem with YouTube. It
tends to keep playing audio after you leave a tab. I find it a real problem
as I use Chrome as a browser and I typically have about 50 tabs open. Since
with Chrome the squacking connection is shown only as a speaker in the tab,
I have to carefully search for it. I don't know an answer, just the individual
fix. It is not a virus.

Harvey