[LMB] OT: Prime News

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 12:34:15 GMT 2017

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 17:33:58 -0500, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Ever since I encountered it in high school, I prefer the ddmmyyyy format:
>> I cross my sevens and sometimes my oughts.
>>

>Why prefer one over the other? *is curious*
>The problem of alternate mm/dd or dd/mm is when both numbers are under 13,
>and sim-communication can happen secretly.

It seems axiomatic to me that the components of a date should be
ordered.  In computer systems, this is pretty much essential, so that
records can be sorted and searched efficiently (do what you like at the
presentation layer, of course).

I suspect the US-only MDY comes from the US practice of saying e.g.
"November 14th" rather than "The 14th of November" as we would in the
UK: US English seems to delight in dropping words it deems to be
superfluous.
--
If you show measurements of of the blood oxygen levels in a mountaineer on top of Everest
to a critical care physician, they will say: "When did this patient die?"   (Kevin Fong)