[LMB] OT: Prime News

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:07:52 GMT 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Federico Bergstein <
almirantenaismith at gmail.com> wrote:

> When the programmer's revolt takes power (any day now), everybody will be
> forced to use YYYYMMDD under pain of death.
> The amount of man-hours devoted to fixing problems caused by the damn date
> formats amounts to  little genocide already.

And yet it is the programmers of yore who started the yy-mm-dd problem,
creating ambiguity between 1960 and 2060.   Little problem with expensive
memory bits, which people today don't understand at -all-.

I have a student doing a paper on how technology changed the  world, and he
literally does not understand that once cell phones did not have apps.
House phones, of course don't, but what's a rotary phone?  People used to
actually 'dial' numbers, now we don't but the word remains.

Sylvia, waxing nostolgic