[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 03:26:25 GMT 2017

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 14:34:38 -0500, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> The problem with creating "lazy" genes like that is that there is little
>> evolutionary pressure to keep them, except under difficult
>> circumstances.  If we engineer for "no-exercise" muscles and
>> simultaneously engineer our society to eliminate most of the exercise,
>> these genes can be lost without real consequence.
>

>I'll bet there were Lake Masters who made similar arguments.  Why worry
>about using their ground powers to alter their children?  After all, what
>were the chances of their causing a complete societal collapse by, say,
>having an experiment which catastrophically failed?  Surely there's no
>possible way their descendants could ever need to function in a relatively
>primitive, ancestral-type environment.  The Lake Cities will almost
>certainly last forever.

False equivalence.  You're comparing a fictional universe and magical
powers with a nascent technology that will still be subject to the
forces of evolution in the real universe.

>At this point, I'm expecting a worldwide collapse of civilization within
>two hundred years or less - assuming humanity doesn't simply become extinct.

I'm hopeful, but not confident. I could see ways it could collapse a lot
sooner than that.
--
"Nuclear physics is much easier than tax law. It's rational and always works
 the same way." - Jerold Rochwald