[LMB] OT: Prime News

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 03:37:44 GMT 2017

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 10:07:52 -0500, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:56 AM, Federico Bergstein <
>almirantenaismith at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When the programmer's revolt takes power (any day now), everybody will be
>> forced to use YYYYMMDD under pain of death.
>> The amount of man-hours devoted to fixing problems caused by the damn date
>> formats amounts to  little genocide already.
>>

>And yet it is the programmers of yore who started the yy-mm-dd problem,
>creating ambiguity between 1960 and 2060.   Little problem with expensive
>memory bits, which people today don't understand at -all-.

Someone, can't currently find the reference, claimed that using short
dates, given the vast cost of early memory, actually saved money overall
despite the price of Y2K fixes.

And some of the problem was the old: "Well, this won't be around in xx
years..." fallacy.  I've been using 8-digit dates in all new systems
since the late 80s, and people said I was wasteful.  When I worked on
the Y2K project, none of the systems needing fixing were mine, I was
pleased to say (and occasionally, insufferably smug, I must admit).

>I have a student doing a paper on how technology changed the  world, and he
>literally does not understand that once cell phones did not have apps.
>House phones, of course don't, but what's a rotary phone?  People used to
>actually 'dial' numbers, now we don't but the word remains.

We have a PVR, yet we still say: "We'll be out when that's on, shall we
tape it?"

>Sylvia, waxing nostolgic

Nostalgia's not what it used to be.
--
The three chief virtues of a programmer are: Laziness, Impatience
and Hubris. - Larry Wall (Programming in Perl, preface)