[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:08:54 GMT 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 09, 2017, at 08:12 PM, Beatrice_Otter <
> beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com> wrote:
>
> Beatrice (and any other neurodiverse folks on the list): when you were
> young, were adults, such as friends of your parents, or neighbors, any
> easier to communicate with?

Not sure what you're asking... I'm diverse in several ways, including neuro
(also somewhat genderfluid/trans and other things).

Parents were punitive, and I never could get across that I wasn't able to
be the way they wanted me to be. Other adults ...  My kindergarten teacher
couldn't get me to talk and was worried about that. My first grade teacher
sent me back to lower reading group because I wouldn't read out loud, but
she let me go back when I finished all the lower readers the second time,
and I did try harder to speak up after that. And I remember my 2nd grade
report card where the teacher wrote how happy she was that my grades were
worse because I was finally less anxious in the class. These were actually
good teachers dealing with my problems not too badly - I did need to learn
to talk in school (selective mutism is the term people use nowadays for
that, and there weren't established ways to treat it yet. It's handled
better now, judging from how my daughter's situation was managed in her
first years of school).

Getting bullied in later years mostly produced adults saying "from now on
you'll be friends", which ... let's go with saying that doesn't work and
leave it at that.

There were good adults from time to time, but I was a military brat - we
moved every few years, so none of them lasted long. There were also ... not
good adults. Kids who are strange are at greater risk of sexual abuse,
especially if people think the kid is likely to not talk about it.

Karen Hunt