[LMB] OT: lasts & shoes, was Gene cleaning in real life

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Thu Nov 16 06:49:59 GMT 2017

On Nov 12, 2017, at 06:59 AM, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:36 PM, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com>
wrote:

Feet that had a better heel/ball proportion--if it fits my heels, it's too
tight side and top; if it fits balls and high arch, heel is too lose.

Oh, I feel your pain.
Do you also buy a few pairs of any shoe that actually fits pretty well?
"It hardly hurts at all" is not something the salespeople want to hear ;)

Marina:

I only buy shoes with leather or canvas uppers, and I prefer leather soles as well--infinitely repairable. The newer soles (since the '90's) are hollow rubber or plastic, and cannot be repaired or resoled.

I really can't stand lace-up shoes--my late FiL and I have the issue of "claustrophobic feet", and mine just get too warm. Boots are just way too warm. Straps, and sandals with straps are iffy, as one little toe is longer than the other. I can't for the life of me get those heel grabbers you put in shoes to work. Heel still slips out.

When I had orthotics, I had to get a larger size shoe.

Clark's Shoes had a 30% sale, and they are not cheap. I tried one model, and for the first time in my life, there was no pinching anywhere. The heels were not quite snug enough, but walking in those shoes, oh my! They were wide, to accommodate the orthotics, but the next year, after losing 40 lbs, a 9 or an 9, or a wide, were no longer necesssary--yeah, I dropped wearing the orthotics when I considered the arch support to be more than adequate. 7.5 US Med/B were fine, until my feet got even smaller, and I could wear a 6.5 (my old shoe size) or a 7, depending on the mfr. I find I have a better fit if the size is European scale.

Cobb Hill is similarly comfortable, but the heel is still loose.

Yes, Sylvia, when I find a pair that fits, I buy at least two when budget permits.

James suggests a custom last. Unless that covers the upper as well, I'm still SOL, but I have wanted my own lasts forever, once I heard about them. I had the idea that lasts were just the sole part...but if not, I must seek out someone who can make one or two for me. $40 is much better than some prices I saw, but, oh, to have a two shoes that truly fit all of my pedal needs!

Marina