[LMB] OT: Genetics & Culture

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 02:10:52 GMT 2017

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:50:26 -0500, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Walter Bushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:
>

>> No contradiction. If we hadn’t had a good source of vitamin C, the mutation
>> that caused the inability to synthesize it, would have been lost.
>>

>Yes, but we didn't lose it BECAUSE OF its presence.  It was possible for
>the loss to occur because of that, but it was not the cause.

In a sort of way, it was: had it not been there, the mutation that lost
the ability would have been a fatal congenital condition, and would at
the very least have become rare or recessive.  The wide availably of
(especially citrus) fruit stopped it happening.
--
'You're the Cheshire cat, aren't you?'   'I was the Cheshire cat,'
he replied with a slightly aggrieved air. 'But they moved the county boundaries,