[LMB] Gene cleaning in real life

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Nov 17 02:16:09 GMT 2017

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 15:29:09 -0500, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> False equivalence.  You're comparing a fictional universe and magical
>> powers with a nascent technology that will still be subject to the
>> forces of evolution in the real universe.
>>

>'Fictional' and 'magical' are irrelevant.  What matters is that they were
>able to adjust the inherited genes of their children and did so, and that
>their society was so thoroughly destroyed by an event of their own making
>that no records or traditions survive as to how long it's been since the
>collapse.  Aside from a very, very few remnants, all their technologies and
>techniques were lost, and what tech exists has arisen since then.

They *do* matter, because you're assuming that baseline reality can work
the same way.  Which is like assuming I can go through the back of my
wardrobe to somewhere more interesting, because Narnia.
--
'You're the Cheshire cat, aren't you?'   'I was the Cheshire cat,'
he replied with a slightly aggrieved air. 'But they moved the county boundaries,