[LMB] Barrayar-Japan parallels

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Tue Nov 21 08:00:51 GMT 2017

> On Nov 20, 2017, at 11:13 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was reading on Wikipedia about _jidaigeki_ (Japanese historical films)
> and got to wondering if there is a parallel in Barrayaran culture.
>
> Would Barrayaran entertainment have a whole genre of "Time of Isolation"
> movies or movie-equivalents?

From chapter 13 of _A Civil Campaign:

"When I was Nikki's age, my obsession was Lord Vorthalia the Bold, Legendary Hero from the Time of Isolation." His reminiscent voice took on a rather fruity narrator's cadence, delivering this last. "That started with a holovid too, come to think of it, though before I was done I was persuading my gran'da to take me to look up original Imperial archives. Turned out Vorthalia wasn't as legendary as all that, though his real adventures weren't all so heroic. I think I could still sing all nine verses of the song that went with—“

Thus, I suspect that the answer is Yes.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com