[LMB] OT: Temperature

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Nov 22 13:53:44 GMT 2017

> On Nov 22, 2017, at 1:11 AM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The beauty of the metric system is the integration of all the measurements
> into one standard. Celsius is based on the behavior of  salt free water
> which was considered one of natural of constituents of Earth. Fahrenheit
> was based on the behavior of alcohol. Anyway Celsius, cubic centimeter,
> simplifies calculating stuff. Which is one reason why the world switched to
> metric. The other was to stick it to the English. (Tongue in cheek).

However, most people do not have any occasion to benefit by such integration.   For them, there is no real advantage of one scale over another, other than familiarity.

I am curious about whether good international golfers keep estimating distances in their native units.   Poor international golfers probably don’t care whether a distance is 200 yards or 200 meters.

I used to keep track of gas mileage.   That was a pain when gas stations used different units.