[LMB] OT: Social structures, was Build your own Emperor

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 17:39:25 BST 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 1:42 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:
<snippety snip>

In The Grand Sophy she has a heroine who certainly breaks a few rules
(kidnapping people and shooting them, frex) but she does it, again, within
certain social boundaries. She knows which rules to break, and how to
behave to stay within acceptable limits. She makes sure she has a chaperone
for the kidnapping! Obey the right rules and you can bend a few others.

Sylvia:
Reminds me of a book (possibly by M Lackey) where the heroine just CANNOT
learn the societal rules, because she thinks they're too dumb for words,
and hwy can't she just do whatever she wants?

Then the the manners tutor says, Of course you can break the rules, dear,
you just have to know which precautions to take, and when, and how to break
the rules while presenting yourself as upholding other rules.

Amazingly, the heroine leans all the rules in five minutes after that ;)

Sylvia
So many books - they tend to get mixed up in my brain.