[LMB] OT: Social structures, was Build your own Emperor

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 21:11:58 BST 2017

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:

> According to Andrew Vachss (an attorney and author; specializes in
> representing children in the NYC court system, poor wretch) the relatively
> light sentence given to Nussbaum's boyfriend was as a protest against
> Nussbaum going nearly scot-free.  IANAL and IANANYCer, but he is both and
> far more wired into the system than I am.
>
> And I don't think Nussbaum served any time; the jury bought her "I am a
> battered woman" excuse, and she did look like she'd gone to Fist City with
> her BF and lost a few good ones.
>
> Personally, I hope they both end up roasting in Hell.

I remember reading about the case as it was making headlines, and hten
again (and again and again) as it was analyzed for decdes. It still gets
brought up during 'why didn't she leave' educational sessions, and  I hear
it is still referred to in assorted college classes - social work,
teachers, women's rights, et al.  It was a mess all around, and no one
showed in a good light.

Sylvia