[LMB] An interesting thought experiment for Barrayar

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Wed Oct 4 17:47:58 BST 2017

> On Oct 2, 2017, at 7:37 PM, Matthew George <matt.msg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What if Barrayaran astronomers discovered a high-quality habitable world,
> something like Sergyar, relatively close to Barrayar?  But as far as anyone
> can determine, no wormhole leads to it.  How would Barrayaran society
> respond?  If they sent out a ship to claim it, who would go?  Would anyone?
>
> Matt G.

To difficult to reach even for the Athosans who have to send out for new
genetic material, like whatever 200 years. Expensive as Wormhole travel
must be, generation ship have to be much more expensive.

It would have to be settled by people who want to be completely isolated,
no colony on Earth has been successful under those conditions, you’d need
a large industrial and genetic base. You’d need hundreds of thousands of’
people maybe millions.

Let’s see, (future fictiously) historically of two attempts (and there may have
been a Gamma attempt etcetera) 50% died and I don’t know how Beta survived,
except by Authorial fiat.

--
Sufficient to the weevil is the day thereof.