[LMB] An interesting thought experiment for Barrayar

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Oct 4 18:03:24 BST 2017

On 10/04/2017 10:47 AM, Walter Bushell wrote:
> Let’s see, (future fictiously) historically of two attempts (and there may have
> been a Gamma attempt etcetera) 50% died and I don’t know how Beta survived,
> except by Authorial fiat.

Once you have the technology for generation ships then you obviously
have the technology for living on a harsh planet.

Beta has resources for minerals, water and air. It's just a bit dusty
and hot. Keep using your ship style life support technology but move to
the planet and dig in. Now you have plenty of room to expand.

Or do as the Quaddies did and live entirely in the asteroid belt.

The harsh environment of Beta may even be how they survived while Alpha
failed. Perhaps Alpha had a living environment with dangerous plants and
animals but the apparent lushness made the Alpha colonists complacent.
Like the stobor in Heinlein's Tunnel In The Sky.

--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil