[LMB] Crows, Grayjays, Vultures and serial fiction 2

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 14:47:53 BST 2017

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:15 AM, Tony Zbaraschuk <tonyz at eskimo.com> wrote:

> Something else that occurs to me -- we've been talking about birds as all
> of the same family.
>
> But for the Five Gods, or their cultural trappins, other things seem to be
> important -- for instance, color symbolism.  The grayjay may be the
> Father's bird because it's _gray_, just like the _white_ polar bear is
> obviously the B*stard's animal and the _blue_jay belongs to the Daughter.
>
> Now, why it happens that the Five seem to have relatively universal color
> associations is another interesting topic...

Animal associations do seem to be primarily by color, though "bad" animals
like rats and crows and seagulls all go to the Bastard. And animals
associated with hunting seem to be at least somewhat for the Son.

For colors, yeah we don't know. I've had a fanfic floating in my mind that
will probably never get written that includes a partial explanation.
Without going into it much, I'll bring fodder for topics:

The gods predate humans. They don't take up animal spirits. Presumably
there was a first spirit that each one took up. Before they did so, they
probably didn't grok humans very well. How much of their current
personalities were formed by the very first humans they took up? What
caused them to decide to try this out?

Karen Hunt