[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Alex Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 18:08:23 BST 2017

Hello,

> On 14 Oct 2017, at 23:38, Carol Botteron <cjbotteron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since the list is a bit slow ... how did you learn to read? Most of the
> following is what people told me when I was older. Not trying to brag, just
> hoping some of you will be amused and/or have better stories.

I don’t really remember, but my mother read to me every night when I was a toddler. And I distinctly remember that I was reading by age 3 — I was reading the title of a comic strip and thought one of the characters looked similar to a character I know. My mom told me I was reading the abridged illustrated version of Journey to the West before kindergarten…

My parents gave me English books as well. I had a Smurfs children’s book at three, but I was only looking at the pictures. I learned the English alphabet in kindergarten and truly started learning English in primary school. I moved to the States when I was 10, and was assessed at barely not needing ESL classes. Slowly became fluent in English through, I guess, immersion. Nowadays, almost all the books I read are in English, mainly because I don’t know where to find Chinese e-books. I still read Chinese newspapers every day, and most of my physical books are in Chinese.

little Alex