[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Oct 14 18:54:33 BST 2017

> On Oct 14, 2017, at 11:08 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
>
> I do remember getting in trouble over my name. They wanted me to use “Billy” but I had been called by my middle name earlier and was switching to William. They didn’t agree

My father didn’t like being called “Sony”, and called me “Howie" (I’m the third).   When I got old enough, I switched to “Howard".

My father-in-law’s legal name was “Johnnie”, which he needed to argue with teachers about.

I think teachers are more tolerant of such variations now.

Historically, people often re-named servants whose name wasn’t “servant” enough.    And sometimes people with Irish names told the English that their names were nick-names for “Christian” names.