[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 18:56:58 BST 2017

> > On 14 Oct 2017, at 23:38, Carol Botteron <cjbotteron at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Since the list is a bit slow ... how did you learn to read? Most of the
> > following is what people told me when I was older. Not trying to brag,
> just
> > hoping some of you will be amused and/or have better stories.

I'm not going to look quite so brilliant as some others on the list....

I didn't speak till I was 2 and I wasn't that quick afterwards, either. By
3-ish I could speak reasonably well, and we moved to Japan. So I was still
in the early-very-fast-learning stage of speaking and I quickly learned
Japanese and couldn't figure out how come my mother was always asking me to
tell me what others were saying.

But reading? Not till kindergarten. I was too much into the tomboy routine
and preferred to play war with the boys than do indoor stuff. Most of the
pictures of me from that time period show me with a black eye from one
accident or another. (poor depth perception, as it turns out).

Various levels of trans-ness runs in the females in my family, and so does
a certain amount of slow-to-talk that's probably somewhere on the autism
scale.

Karen Hunt