[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Alex Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 19:28:44 BST 2017

Hello,

>> On Oct 14, 2017, at 11:57 AM, Alex Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> In Hong Kong, kids or their teachers choose their English name after entering primary school, but my dad already decided on one. But my teacher decided to call me Sandra and it stuck. So much so that after I moved to the States, I signed my social security card Sandra Kwan. This is a problem because I switched to Alex, with Alexandra Kwan as my signature. So now I don’t know how valid my social security card is.

> On 15 Oct 2017, at 02:11, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
> Have you ever been called Sasha?

Nope. HKers are no longer familiar with Russian culture starting in the 1970s, though the Russians had a presence in Hong Kong back in the 1930s to 1960s. Their cuisine was probably some of the first western cuisine HKers ever tasted. Cha chaan teng still give a customer a choice of cream of mushroom or “Russian” (borscht) soup.

Here’s more info on it:
https://zolimacitymag.com/why-do-hong-kong-restaurants-serve-borscht-the-overlooked-history-of-russian-hong-kong/

little Alex