[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Eric Oppen ravenclaweric at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 20:12:28 BST 2017

I got started on reading about at age 3 or so.  I'd see a commercial for
"All" brand soap and learned what "All" meant.  Then I'd see the word
"ball" and go: "All!  All!  (pointing to B) Dis-dis-dis-dis?"  My mother,
an ex-teacher, helped me with letters I didn't know, and I was off and
running.  She was _very_ startled at how much and how well I could read at
a young age, though.

Once when I was about five or so, we were downtown and there was some sort
of fundraiser going on, with a big sign up saying "Give Enough!"  I pointed
to it and said:  "Look Mommy!  It says 'Give Enough!'"  Mom was gobsmacked;
she told me later that she'd had high school students who had trouble with
the "ough" words, and here I was able to handle them, no problem.  She
carefully did _not_ call my attention to the fact that other kids my age
could not read, so there was no trouble on _that_ front for quite a while.
I got along fine with most of my contemporaries until the "ball games, ball
games _ueber alles_" thing came between us---I've got a defect in my vision
that makes ball games a non-starter for me.

I can remember the _exact_ instant I got sick and tired of bloody Dick,
Jane and Sally.   We were in first grade, reading from those books, and all
of a sudden I had had _e-nough!_  My teacher saw that something was wrong,
but I was still kind of young to explain just _what._   My teachers never
gave me trouble over being able to read far ahead of my age-mates, but part
of _that_ might have been that they knew my mom had been a teacher herself
for years, and feared no teacher, administrator or principal on Earth.  If
one of them had tried the sort of thing that teacher did in _To Kill a
Mockingbird,_ there'd have been Trouble in River City.