[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Jane Hotchkiss focsle1928 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 14 22:54:07 BST 2017

I have a cousin 10.5 months older than I am, & her sister is another 2 years older. They had "Fun with Dick & Jane" at home, I was in kindergarten at the time and absorbed FwD&J whole. I don't remember learning the alphabet separately. Profoundly bored when I reached first grade. We had a brand-new immigrant from China arrive a few months into the school year - 1954; I was given the opportunity to start teaching her to speak & read English but have zero recollection of how. I do remember we were all awed that she & her parents had escaped Red China, much more an enemy then than now.
Jane Hotchkiss