[LMB] Subject: Re: OT: Names, was How Did You Learn to Read?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 15 04:17:14 BST 2017

From: Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>

> On Oct 14, 2017, at 11:08 AM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> I do remember getting in trouble over my name. They wanted me to use ?Billy? but I had been called by my middle name earlier and was switching to William. They didn?t agree

My father didn?t like being called ?Sony?, and called me ?Howie" (I?m the third).   When I got old enough, I switched to ?Howard".
My father-in-law?s legal name was ?Johnnie?, which he needed to argue with teachers about.

Gwynne: Name choices can be strange, and are always very personal.
My grandmother, an uncle and a cousin all used their second names, by their
own (occasionally ferocious) choice.  A grandfather managed to give two of his
children the initials 'VD' - either not thinking, or just naive.

The prize probably goes to an aunt who named her son Johnnie. Their
surname was Walker. Yep. Always a good idea to name your kid after
alcohol.