[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Pat Mathews MATHEWS55 at msn.com
Sun Oct 15 04:50:34 BST 2017

Oh, don't I know! My ex-husband was told early in life that his scholastic troubles were due to either being stupid or simply not dong the work. I'm overjoyed that his parents --- forgive any tupos. The at is between me, the keyboard, and the screen and my typing is coming out ALL fyslexic ....

OK. Because Phil was visibly working very hard, they decided he simply didn't have what it took intellectually. Even though he could carry on a conversation on, say, cosmology - some of it deliberately stringing me out to see how far I'd go - without any problems. Because he was raised to believe that the only people with any credibility were his superiors in rank or "qalified professionals," he never accepted the idea that he was not stupid until someone with a degree in the proper subject told him he was "gifted learning-desabled."

I am so very verbal that my dad cpuld not accept "I didn't know" or "I didn't realize" as an answer, so instead of "stupid or lazy" it was "lazy, or deliberatelt disobedient." Which of course, from time to time, I certainly was.