[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 15:44:57 BST 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> As a child, I read the novel “Hay  Foot, Straw Foot”, where a boy helped
> one of George Washington’s soldiers learn how to march by putting hay in
> one shoe and straw in the other.   I wondered how could someone know the
> difference between hay and straw, but not know the difference between right
> and left (especially marching with everybody else).
> --

My grandfather told me about hay foot, straw foot!  Only he was a soldier
during WWII - still lots of farmers signing up.

And, more adults than you think aren't too sure about right vs left, espes
when talking to someone facing you.

Sylvia
who uses 'driver side, passenger side' in the car to avoid confusion