[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 16:25:40 BST 2017

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Carol Botteron <cjbotteron at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Since the list is a bit slow ... how did you learn to read? Most of the
> following is what people told me when I was older. Not trying to brag, just
> hoping some of you will be amused and/or have better stories.

I learned to read in school, but all my siblings new our own / each other's
initials because MY BAG OF CANDY. My kids knew their initials before school
too, same reason ;)

But once the reading books had more than five words per page, they started
moving around, very hard to read!  (wut is dis dyslexia, no one ever heard
of it back then.)

So I took the handouts that the teach gave out (who remembers the phrase
ditto sheets?) and folded the blank margin to a sharp crease just like
grandpa showed me, and neatly ripped off the wide white edge. 2 white
strips let me block off all the lines above and below the line I was
reading, so even if the words moved around, I could still use context to
figure out the order of words.

One spelling book had an exercise with words out-of-order to be reassembled
as a sentence, I was so puzzled that some people didn't know how to do
this, it was often my normal reading experience.

Sylvia
who still uses a folded tissue as white-space when the eyes get to tired to
see in a straight line.