[LMB] Costume parties

Margaret Dean margdean56 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 00:48:21 BST 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Nancy Barber <nlbarber at mac.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 15, 2017, at 2:16 AM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Well, of course, there were masks in Penric, but I can't remember for
> sure if they were only acting masks.
>
> I just searched out the text, and the line was “it was an old masquerade
> mask”.  So, not acting, I’d say, but some sort of party.

 Anyway, an acting mask--one used in the style of theater where the actors
customarily wore character masks (e.g. in ancient Greece)--would be quite
different. It would cover the entire head, be designed to be "read" from a
distance and perhaps even to amplify the voice a bit. Not really suitable
for what it's being used for in the story!

--Margaret Dean
  <margdean56 at gmail.com>