[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Oct 16 07:50:56 BST 2017

On Oct 15, 2017, at 5:03 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  I have absolutely no problems seeing an arrow on the GPS and knowing the direction, and I do slightly better with
> east/west/north/south verbal directions if I know the area I'm being directed in.
> ("OK, sun rises over there. OK. I'm oriented.)

Yes! Exactly! Sometimes when I’m not sure how much twisting the road has done, and the sun is right overhead or obscured by clouds, I use “logical N/E/S/W” to clarify. Hwy 280 makes several directional shifts from San Jose to San Francisco. Hwys 92 and 84, nominally E/W, curve a lot between Bay and ocean. Hwy 101 is mostly N/S, but in LA, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties, it’s quite often E/W for long stretches.

>  (-: There is a huge sensual difference between hay and straw, though. That's a
> really cool technique!

Tell me more! I think that, what most urban folk call “hay bales” are really straw. Hay’s too valuable for tossing about for human use: it’s feed.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com