[LMB] OT How Did You Learn to Read?

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Oct 16 08:07:52 BST 2017

On Oct 14, 2017, at 3:35 PM, Virginia Bemis <vbemis42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I hit first grade, the teacher chewed my parents out for having taught me to read, because it didn't fit approved educational methods for the early 1950's.

Idiot school board/State Dept of Education!

> The East Lansing Public Library was very enlightened for the time.  You
> could have your own library card as soon as you could write your name and
> address. All the others around had age limits. So I got my first card at
> age 6. I could get books up through teen level.  Had to wait till 9th grade
> for an adult card.

In the mid-60’s Albuquerque Library System, there was a bit of protective agism for children, where you couldn’t read certain late teens/mature books, unless you had your parents’ permission. You also, below a certain age, couldn’t take out more than 10 books at a time—but I’d have read them all within a week, and we only went every two. I can’t recall the borrowing rules at school, but it was a very small collection.

A. Marina Fournier
Saffronrose at me.com