[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Mon Oct 16 13:42:08 BST 2017

> On Oct 16, 2017, at 2:50 AM, A. Marina Fournier <saffronrose at me.com> wrote:
>
> Yes! Exactly! Sometimes when I’m not sure how much twisting the road has done, and the sun is right overhead or obscured by clouds, I use “logical N/E/S/W” to clarify. Hwy 280 makes several directional shifts from San Jose to San Francisco. Hwys 92 and 84, nominally E/W, curve a lot between Bay and ocean. Hwy 101 is mostly N/S, but in LA, Ventura, and Santa Barbara counties, it’s quite often E/W for long stretches.

Sometimes roads go opposite to the logical direction. That is, for example, you are going south when the overall route
is going to take you north and vice versa, of course. IIRC, there is a famous example near Boston.

Probably several, if my recollection of Boston is true. They paved the cow paths and called them roads.

Well they were the lead city in early America, for a long time. You go to the Metropolitan in the American wing
and the early artists all worked in Boston, or England or perhaps on the continent.

--
Sufficient to the weevil is the day thereof.