[LMB] OT: directions, Was How Did You Learn to Read?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Oct 16 20:15:14 BST 2017

On 10/16/2017 12:49 PM, Margaret Devere wrote:
> I play a game of trying to get from here to there using a route I've never used before, or side streets. I like to look around me and say "I've never been here before." When I first moved to Denver, 36 years ago, I took day trips into the mountains, just driving randomly. I still do that, but I've usually been on the road before.

If you do random mountain roads you can end up very far away from
anywhere. Not all of them connect to anything and when they do it might
be 50 miles more to the next town.

Or you'd need to go off-roading. There's a path off Magnolia Road that
connects Boulder Canyon / CO 119 to Flagstaff Road. But the one time my
parents tried it, in a huge 1970's 4x4 Power Wagon, I remember the ruts
were huge and there were several trees fallen across the road. It was
quite the adventure.

Without that path you have to go all the way to Nederland and back on 72
to the Gross Dam Road, which is a 1.5 lane dirt path.

I also remember on a high school ski trip to Steamboat our driver took a
wrong turn once and it took us an hour to figure out where we were.
--
                Knowledge is Power -- Power Corrupts
                        Study Hard -- Be Evil