[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 20:49:25 BST 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> From: alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
>
> According to this story, it's not uncommon:
> The story says:
> "Apparently, ?left-right confusion,? as neuroscientists appropriately call
> the phenomenon, is quite common....
> "It appears, however, to be linked to brain lateralization ? the idea that
> the right and left halves of the brain?s cerebral cortex control different
> functions. The more asymmetric that lateralization, the more vulnerable we
> may be to left-right confusion....
>
> Gwynne: I've often wondered where left-handedness comes into it. Are
> our brains totally reversed compared to right-handers? And if not, one
> side of the brain must be doing double duty, so what's the other half
> up
>

> I'm currently reading (and recommending) both "This is your brain on
music" and "a whole new mind" and they both have quite a lot to say about
right-left hemispheres overlapping a lot, or both have to be used for a
great many tasks.

But "whole new mind" says that yes, fMRIs for lefties do have a lot of
tasks showing up on the mirror side of the brain.

amazing thing, fMRIs - you stick a person into a metal coffin, play the
drum on it, and, while they think about a specific task*, take a pic of the
blood their brain to see what lights up.

tasks: compare faces, listen to music, remember listening to music,
visualize the alphabet...

Sylvia