[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 22:11:19 BST 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 2:57 PM, WILLIAM A WENRICH <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:

> On one occasion I had a particularly bad experience. I moved to
> Albuquerque when I was 13 and lived in the “north valley” through when I
> started driving. For those who don’t know Albuquerque, likely everyone but
> Patricia, Sandia Crest is on the east side of town and there are many TV
> and radio towers on top. From the north valley, it is a reliable direction
> finder at night, or so I thought.
> Albuquerque is rather large (almost 190 square miles) and the first time I
> was driving on the eastern side of town at night I became thoroughly
> confused as the crest was North.

I lived in the north valley in the late 70s and early 80s, actually. Very
far north valley, almost in the Indian Reservation north of the city. Not a
nice part of the city at all...

And, I used a similar direction rule based on the topography: right hand to
the east means I'm facing north. If you can see Sandia Crest, that's east.
Never got in trouble with that rule, though.

Karen Hunt