[LMB] Actually Jodi Taylor Re: OT: Jodie Taylor

Walter Bushell proto at panix.com
Tue Oct 17 13:27:51 BST 2017

> On Oct 17, 2017, at 2:15 AM, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:
>
> Went by 10s in what I learned.  And it was a fine idea.  No more yucky
> than counting by 1s, and you get to insert as needed.  (This was also a
> world without full-screen editors.)  In retrospect, line-number BASIC
> with lots of GOTO was good preparation for understanding assembly
> language, while being faster to do interesting things for a newbie
> programmer.

In assembly language it is even more imperative to use structured
programming than in basic Basic. I wrote programs for a bank
in Trash-80 Basic, if you can imagine. The bank is dead (merged
into a different bank and the comment was, at least they had
different problems.)

Banking is a very difficult and dangerous business, every generation
or so the problems come out and there is a big “reorganization” usually
with government subsidies of one form or another. I lived through several
and I am aghast that I had to live through so many before I caught on to
the pattern after studying American history in High School.

--
Sufficient to the weevil is the day thereof.