[LMB] OT: RAH

Damien Sullivan phoenix at mindstalk.net
Tue Oct 17 16:42:37 BST 2017

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:28:45AM -0500, Tony Zbaraschuk wrote:

> > The virulent racism we're used to is largely an 1800s invention, fueled
> > by "scientific racism", abuse of Darwin, the technological gap between
> > Europe and the rest of the world, and the needs to defend colonialism
> > and slavery.
>
> Not liking Other People goes back a very long way, too.  The language
> we dress it up in may be different in different periods and situations.

Bigotry goes way back, yes.  'barbarians', anti-Semitism.  But
differences on language or religion.  Or basic relatedness ("We are
People.  They are...")  And of course differential treatment by gender.

But the dressing has consequences that matter, and one-drop racism is
pretty bottom of the barrel.

-xx- Damien X-)