[LMB] Actually Jodi Taylor Re: OT: Jodie Taylor

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Tue Oct 17 17:34:19 BST 2017

On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 02:15:21 -0400, Damien Sullivan
<phoenix at mindstalk.net> wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:50:09AM -0400, Fred Smith wrote:
>
>> > Books in series like Bujold’s could be labeled by hundreds. then there are plenty of numbers
>> > for inserting books written out of chronological order.
>>
>> reminds me of writing old Basic programs... you needed line/statement
>> numbers, they had to go in increasing order but they did not need to
>> be sequential. so people tended to write
>> 100 ...
>> 200 ...
>> 300 ...
>>
>> for just the purpose you describe. made for yucky code (not that Basic
>> isn't all yucky anyway...)
>
>Went by 10s in what I learned.  And it was a fine idea.  No more yucky
>than counting by 1s, and you get to insert as needed.  (This was also a
>world without full-screen editors.)  In retrospect, line-number BASIC
>with lots of GOTO was good preparation for understanding assembly
>language, while being faster to do interesting things for a newbie
>programmer.

I saw this concept brilliantly abused in Sperry mainframe BASIC.  A
program that was very heavily commented, with all the comments having
the *same* line number.

When you submitted the program to the interpreter, via @ADD, all except
the last instance disappeared (and that one said: 999 REM see source for
detailed comments.

--
Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.  - Wallace Irwin