[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com
Tue Oct 17 18:01:21 BST 2017

> On Oct 17, 2017, at 9:39 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 16:09:15 -0400, Sylvia McIvers
> <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Amen.Correct instead of Right is a habit already....  and when did Right
>> acquire so many meanings?  *dictionary of word origins is currently not
>> useful*
>
> You want lots of meanings?  I believe "set" followed by "let" are the
> words with most dictionary entries, in English at any rate.

What about “sound” and “fell”; not so much different meanings, but different words that are spelled and pronounced the same. For example:

“Sound whales sound the sound with sound.” I am not using the meaning of the verb that is usually associated with whales.

BTW, as far as the topic of this thread is concerned, I believe that I did not learn to read before I was 6 years old, but, IIRC, I was reading multiple books a week before I reached my 10th birthday.

Robert Woodward robertaw at drizzle.com