[LMB] OT How Did You Learn to Read?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 19 04:32:02 BST 2017

From: "A. Marina Fournier" <saffronrose at me.com>

In the mid-60?s Albuquerque Library System, there was a bit of protective agism for children, where you couldn?t read certain late teens/mature books, unless you had your parents? permission. You also, below a certain age, couldn?t take out more than 10 books at a time?but I?d have read them all within a week, and we only went every two. I can?t recall the borrowing rules at school, but it was a very small collection.

Gwynne: At my Primary (Grade) school, Mum was the librarian. I got to
read everything!

But when I started school, you went to Kindergarten when you were five.
It meant that some kids started later in the year than others (our school
year starts in January, ends in December, we're logical.) After Kindy, the
children who started later went to Transition, then Year 1, Year 2, etc.
I was a late birthday, but they skipped me over Transition because I was
reading, etc. So I went through to Year 2 a bit younger than my friends.
At that time there was a split - even though it was all the same school
Kindy - Year 2 was Infants, Years 3 to 6 were Primary. And the principal
decided that I was too young for Primary, EVEN THOUGH I CAME FIRST IN
THE GRADE. Hmph. And I had to repeat the year. Deadly boring!!!! I spent
most of the year teaching the other kids, listening to them reading (and
not understanding why some kids couldn't read, it was so easy after all).

I was also (I found out years later) offered a place at a selective High School
but my parents chose not to take it - it would have been a bit inconvenient
getting me there, and my brother wouldn't be going there, so it was easier
to send me to the local High School instead.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I'd taken that different
path.... don't you wish you could find out!