[LMB] OT: How Did You Learn to Read?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 19 04:38:01 BST 2017

From: baur baur <baur at chello.at>

>     On Oct 15, 2017, at 5:03 PM, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>     > I have absolutely no problems seeing an arrow on the GPS and knowing the
>     > direction, and I do slightly better with
>     > east/west/north/south verbal directions if I know the area I'm being
>     > directed in.
>     > ("OK, sun rises over there. OK. I'm oriented.)

markus:
yep - been there, done that .. of course its easier when one lives in an area
that is basically rectangular in its layout
old european towns rarely are 8) - it sometimes help if you can mentally switch
from cartesian (rectangular) coordinates to polar (spiderweb, centered on city
center)
London however is beyond that - its a hodgepodge

Gwynne: I can't use a GPS. It confuses me. I also get lost easily - I'm pretty
much disoriented all the time. I learn one way to get to a place, and work
by visual markers. If someone chops down a tree or repaints a fence I'm lost.
I can, however, read maps brilliantly. I'm a legend with a street directory! I
just have to stop now and then to look up the next bit. (You can't do it as
you drive along, that makes you run up the back of police cars. Don't ask.)