[LMB] Question for the list

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 15:35:50 BST 2017

From: "A. Marina Fournier" <saffronrose at me.com>

On Oct 9, 2017, at 5:17 PM, Eric Oppen <ravenclaweric at gmail.com> wrote:
> I know what you mean about parodies.  I disliked _Bimbos of the Death Sun,_
> and others by the same author.

BimbosotDeathSun was the first Sharyn McCrumb I read.  The sequel didn?t work.
Her Elizabeth McPherson series?cozies?went off the rails for me about If I?d Killed Him When I Met Him (...I?d be out of prison now).
Her Ballad series is not cozy at all. It?s dark and grim, and the characters are compelling.
Her NASCAR material I leave for those who find that world interesting.

Gwynne: I was forced to read Bimbos of the Death Sun by friends, and it wasn't at
all what I (or they) expected, so I enjoyed it (I'd also been to Cons that resembled that
one pretty well.) Sort of liked the Elizabeth McPherson series, at least at first, but
I found the main character a bit irritating. The book I hated the most was, I thought,
also the best one. (No spoilers.)  The Ballad series are far better, I think, and they
really make more of an impression. Not happy books, really, but strong. Haven't hit
the NASCAR ones yet. I really would have preferred it if she wrote each different
type under a different name, they're so varied in tone that it's a bit unsettling when
you pick up another one by her and get something totally different to the last book.