[LMB] OT: dueling commercials

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 24 13:09:24 BST 2017

From: quietann <quietann at gmail.com>

On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 7:51 AM, Walter Bushell <proto at panix.com> wrote:
> Depends on the risk benefit ratio and full disclose of the risks. In the
> commercials the list of the risks is
> so fast it should be banned on the same grounds as too fine print. Can?t
> possibly follow and that?s the point.

There was an article addressing this in the Boston Globe yesterday
A big problem is that the long lists cause people to not discriminate well
between truly dangerous and just annoying side effects, so they tend to
tune the whole list out.  (And yes, I realize there is a continuum between
"truly dangerous" and "just annoying.")
Ann

Gwynne: It's like the warning labels on food: everything says 'May contain
traces of peanuts' but they don't, it's just to cover the manufacturer. So you
start to ignore it and buy the products anyway. And keep an epipen close by.